IKA is an initiative of Cornerstone Education Ltd, a registered and accredited NZQA education provider.
We are working with the Northland & Auckland communities to provide education programmes which embrace the principles of Matauranga Maori.
We have started with our scuba diving training programmes.
We are working with local iwi and hapu to develop further programmes in the areas of:
- Marine biology and ecology (with a focus on sustainable seafood harvesting)
- Maori customary fishing rights (with a focus on sustainability practices)
- Tangata Kaitiaki (who are marae-authorised individuals who co-ordinate and manage seafood gathering activities in certain areas)
IKA will provide people that can make a direct contribution to iwi and hapu aspirations and developments. We will work with key people in the community responsible for these initiatives such as:
- The restoration of the Mimiwhangata marine reserve
- Educational-tourism ventures
- Aquaculture initiatives
Is motivated by a statement made by Houpeke Piripi which has been encapsulated in the proverb given to us:
Ka tu ki uta, ka noho ki te moana – “Guardians of the incoming and outgoing tides”.