Akonga Kete Ki
NZQA: National Certificate in Diving (Foundation), Level 3
Is This Programme For You?
- YES if you want to Learn to Dive?
- YES if you want to understand your true identity in relation to your whakapapa, your roles and responsibilities, and the principles and values to live life by?
- YES if you want the knowledge and skills for safe dive practices and underwater experiences?
- YES if you want to build up specialist skills and knowledge to dive with confidence?
- YES if you want international recognition of your Dive skills and knowledge through SSI certifications?
Akonga Kete Ki
The name Akonga Kete Ki was given to us for this programme. It relates to understanding your true identity, your rights and responsibilities, and the permissions you should seek before filling your kete when free diving or scuba diving.
There is a focus on tangata kaitiaki and the Kaimoana Customary Fishing Regulations throughout all of our programmes.
It’s also about:
- Connecting people to their rights and responsibilities in relation to the land and sea with a focus on conservation and sustainability
- Connecting people to their whanau and hapu aspirations
- Providing people with safe access to their underwater environment via scuba diving and marine activities
- “Ka tu ki uta, Ka noho ki te moana” – “Guardians of the incoming and outgoing tides”
4 Quick Facts about the Programme:
- The programme includes 24 logged Dives, starting with Open Water Diver.
- This programme is NZQA approved as a Quality Assured Level 3 Qualification
- The duration of the course is 15 weeks Full-Time
- Full-time = minimum of 3 days per week, minimum of 20 hours contact time per week, plus home study time
- It is eligible to apply for Student Loans & Allowances through StudyLink
What You Will Learn:
- Snorkel dive with safety (Learn to Snorkel)
- Scuba dive in open water to a depth of 18 metres (Learn to Dive)
- Complete a dive off a boat
- Complete a shore dive
- Navigate prescribed routes underwater
- Complete night dives
- Complete underwater search and recovery dives
- Complete deep dives between 18 and 40 metres
- Provide first aid
- Provide resuscitation (level 2)
- Administer supplemental oxygen at the surface to divers
- Perform Diver Rescues
Certifications You Will Achieve:
- NZQA National Certificate in Diving (Foundation)
- Cornerstone Education Advanced Sea Adventurer Certificate
- SSI Open Water Diver
- SSI Specialty Certifications:
- SSI Boat Diving Specialty
- SSI Shore Diving Specialty
- SSI Navigation Specialty
- SSI Night & Limited Visibility Diving Specialty
- SSI Deep Diving Specialty
- SSI Search and Recovery Specialty
- SSI Diver Stress & Rescue Specialty
- Workplace First Aid Certificate
- Oxygen Provider Certificate
or Call 0800 888 IKA (0800 888 452)